Thursday, November 10, 2011

My Inspiration: Where it all began

 I have been asked more than a few times where my inspiration comes from. Just what is it that lit the spark that has now turned into a full blown forest fire? Well, I know the answer to that question; I know the exact moment it happened. Over the summer I was visiting my family in Alberta and I finally got a chance to go to the farm where my younger sister lives with her husband (fiancé at the time). On their property is the little house they live in - with it's, shall we say, eclectic style, - a barn, and the old homestead house that my brother-in-law's ancestors had settled in a century ago from Poland.
The blue barn and red homestead house

 My sister led us on a tour through her house, the barn, and finally the old homestead. I was so drawn to the peeling wallpaper, the rickety chairs, the fur coat, and skeleton keys in the closet. I was envious that she got to live in a place so rich with history. We spent the day with our family on the farm playing frizbee, chasing her farm cats, and just enjoying eachothers company. Later in the day I decided to go for another tour through the old homestead house - I just couldn't get enough - that is when I found an old wooden window resting up against the wall. I knew they didn't even know it was there, and if they did, they didn't care. I looked at it differently, I knew I had to "steal" it. My sister was getting married in a month and I knew just what to do; I turned this old window into a beautiful mirror for their wedding gift. I wanted them to be able to keep a piece of that history on display in their home and pass it on to their children.

  

And, like they say,"the rest is history". Ever since then I have been addicted to all things old; I want to revive them, I want to give them a second chance at life, make them different and relevant, give them the opportunity to please once again.

Here are some of my sister Jen's wedding photos taken at their farm out near Camrose, Alberta.
My sister Jen and I
Inside the old homestead house

Another one inside the old homestead house

Wedding party outside of homestead house

And of course, a rickety old chair (love)


These photos were taken by Brianna K Photography in Edmonton. http://myedmontonweddingphotographer.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment